Q. Which of the following statement about United Nations Commission on Narcotic Drugs (CND) is/are correct?
1. It was established by Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
2. The CND is the final decision maker on proposals by the World Health Organisation.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
- The Commission on Narcotic Drugs (CND) is a policymaking body within the United Nations system.
- It was established by Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) resolution 9(I) in 1946.
- The CND aims to assist the ECOSOC in supervising the application of the international drug control treaties for action against drugs and crime.
- In 1991, the General Assembly (GA) expanded the mandate of the CND to enable it to function as the governing body of the UNODC.
Headquarters: Vienna, Austria
Objectives: The CND reviews and analyzes the global drug situation, considering supply and demand reduction. It takes action through resolutions and decisions.
The CND is also the final decision maker on proposals by the World Health Organisation.
Member Countries: The CND has 53 member states that are elected by ECOSOC. The CND is chaired by a Bureau. This Bureau includes at least one member per Regional Group.
Annual Meetings: CND meets annually. The CND adopted the 2019 Ministerial Declaration to accelerate the implementation of joint commitments to address and counter the world drug problem.