Q. Which of the following statement is/are correct?
1. Life started from multi-cellular organisms.
2. The record of life that existed on this planet in different periods is found in rocks in the form of fossils.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
Explanation: Origin of Life:
- The last phase in the evolution of the earth relates to the origin and evolution of life. It is undoubtedly clear that initially the earth or even the atmosphere of the earth was not conducive for the development of life.
- Modern scientists refer to the origin of life as a kind of chemical reaction, which first generated complex organic molecules and assembled them. This assemblage was such that they could duplicate themselves converting inanimate matter into living substance.
- The record of life that existed on this planet in different periods is found in rocks in the form of fossils. The microscopic structures closely related to the present form of blue algae have been found in geological formations much older than some 3,000 million years. It can be assumed that life began to evolve sometime 3,800 million years ago.
- The summary of evolution of life from unicellular bacteria to the modern man is given in the Geological Time Scale.
Source: NCERT Class 11