Q. Which of the following statement is NOT correct?
Explanation: The administrative head of East India Company was Governor (of Fort William or of Fort St. George) until 1772.
- Warren Hastings who was Governor of Fort William was made Governor-General of Bengal according to the Regulating Act of 1773.
- The Charter Act 1833 designated this post as Governor-General of India and William Bentinck was appointed the first Governor-General of united British India.
- The Governor-General was selected by the Court of Directors of the East India Company, to whom he was responsible.
- After the great rebellion of 1857, when the government of India was transferred from the East India Company to the Crown, the title “Viceroy and Governor-General” was first used in the queen’s proclamation of 1858.
- Canning was the first Viceroy and Governor-General of India accountable to the British Parliament.
Source: Tamil Nadu NCERT