Q. Which of the following statement is NOT correct regarding 73rd Constitutional Amendment?
Explanation: The act provides for a Gram Sabha as the foundation of the panchayati raj system. It is a body consisting of persons registered in the electoral rolls of a village comprised within the area of Panchayat at the village level.
- The act provides for a three-tier system of panchayati raj in every state, that is, panchayats at the village, intermediate, and district levels.
- Thus, the act brings about uniformity in the structure of panchayati raj throughout the country.
- However, a state having a population not exceeding 20 lakhs may not constitute panchayats at the intermediate level.
- All the members of panchayats at the village, intermediate and district levels shall be elected directly by the people.
- Further, the chairperson of panchayats at the intermediate and district levels shall be elected indirectly–by and from amongst the elected members thereof.
- The act provides for the reservation of not less than one-third of the total number of seats for women (including the number of seats reserved for women belonging the SCs and STs).
Source: Laxmikanth Polity