Q. Which of the following statements is/are correct about “Quality Council of India (QCI)”?
1. It is a non-profit autonomous society registered under Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860.
2. The Quality Council of India (QCI) is headed by Minister of Commerce and Industry.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
The Quality Council of India (QCI) is a pioneering experiment of the Government of India in setting up organizations in partnership with the Indian industry.
- A committee which included various interested ministries and stakeholders including industries was established to make suitable recommendations.
- The work was coordinated by the then Department of Industries (Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion) and the recommendations were submitted to the Cabinet in 1996.
- Key recommendations included the Need for establishing an organization jointly by the Government and the industry and the need for the organization to be self-sustaining and be away from the government.
- Accepting the recommendations, the Cabinet Committee decided to set up Quality Council of India as a non-profit autonomous society registered under Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860 to establish an accreditation structure in the country and to spread quality movement in India by undertaking a National Quality Campaign.
- QCI is governed by a Council comprising of 38 members including the Chairman and Secretary General.
- The Council has an equal representation of Government, Industry and other Stakeholders. The chairman of QCI is nominated by Prime Minister of India and present chairman of QCI is Mr. Adil Zainulbhai.