Q. Which one of the following did NOT serve as Vice President before assuming the office of the President of India?
Explanation: Vice President:
- In India, Vice-President has the second-highest office in the country.
- Article 63 of the Indian Constitution mentions the post of Vice-President.
- There is no direct election for the Vice-President of India however, he/she is indirectly elected by an Electoral College.
- He acts as the ex-officio Chairman of Rajya Sabha.
|Vice President||Term||Term of President|
|V. V. Giri||1967-1969||1969-1974|
|Gopal Swarup Pathak||1969-1974||Not became president|
|B. D. Jatti||1974-1979||Not became president|
|Mohammad Hidayatullah||1979-1984||1969 (Acting President)|
|Shankar Dayal Sharma||1987-1992||1992-1997|
|K. R. Narayanan||1992-1997||1997-2002|
|Krishan Kant||1997-2002||Not became president|
|Bhairon Singh Shekhawat||2002-2007||Not became president|
|Mohammad Hamid Ansari||2007-2017||Not became president|
|Venkaiah Naidu||2017-Incumbent||Not became president|
- From the table, it is clear that Neelam Sanjiva Reddy did NOT serve as Vice President before assuming the office of the President of India.
- The only unopposed President of India, Neelam Sanjiva Reddy became the President in 1977.
- He was elected on 21 July 1977 and was sworn in as the sixth President of India on 25 July 1977.
- Reddy worked with three governments, with Prime Ministers Morarji Desai, Charan Singh, and Indira Gandhi.
- He was also the first chief minister of Andhra Pradesh, credited with the architecture and modernization of the state.
- He participated in various freedom struggles against the British and was imprisoned several times.