Q. which one of the following in Indian polity is an essential feature that indicates that is federal in character?
Why this question:
- Important static topic
- The Supreme court recently said that the independence of district judiciary is cardinal
Exp) Option a is correct.
The establishment of an independent judiciary necessarily indicates the federal character of Indian polity. The Constitution establishes an independent judiciary headed by the Supreme Court to settle the disputes between the Centre and the states or between the states.
Following are the federal features of Indian Constitution:
- Dual polity consisting of the Union at the Centre and the states at the periphery.
- Written Constitution
- Division of powers between the Centre and the states (by Schedule seven)
- Supremacy of the Constitution
- Rigidity of the constitution
- Bicameral legislature consisting of Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha
- Independency of judiciary
Source) Laxmikant Chapter 13 (6th edition)