Q. Who among the following are appointed by the president of India?
1. The Chairman of Rajya Sabha
2. The chief Justice of India
3. Governor of states
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
Article 53(1) vests the executive power of the union in the president. All executive actions of the Government of India and all contracts and assurances of the property are made by the Government of India are formally taken in the name in president.
Appointments made by president: President of India makes appointment to other constitutional officers and other important members of union government. These include:
- Prime Minister
- Other ministers on advice of Prime Minister
- Chief Justice of India
- Other Judges of Supreme Court on advice of the Chief Justice
- Chief Justice and other judges of high courts
- Chairman and other members of UPSC and Joint Public Service Commissions
- Attorney General of India
- Comptroller and Auditor General of India
- Chief Election Commissioner and other members of election commission
- Governors of states
- Administrators of Union Territories
- Chairman and members of National Commission of Scheduled Caste
- Chairman and members of National Commission of Scheduled Tribes
- Finance Commission chairman and members
- Central Chief Information Commissioner
- Central Vigilance Commissioner
- Chairperson of National Human Rights Commission
- Union Lokpal Chairman and its members on recommendation of selection committee
- At the same time, also note that:
- Chairperson of National Commission of Women is not appointed by President but by Central Government.
- Solicitor General is NOT appointed by President. His appointment is done by Central Government.
- The chairman and member of state public service commissions are although appointed by Governor, the removal of any of them (chairman or members) will be done by president.