Q. Who among the following is known as “Father of cosmetic Surgery”?
- During the 6th century BCE, an Indian physician named Sushruta – widely regarded as the ‘Father of Indian Medicine’ and ‘Father of Plastic Surgery’ – wrote one of the world’s earliest works on medicine and surgery.
- Sushruta lived in the ancient city of Kashi, now known as Varanasi or Banaras in the northern part of India.
- Sushruta is known for his pioneering operations and techniques and for his influential treatise ‘Sushruta Samhita’ or Compendium of Sushruta, the main source of knowledge about surgery in ancient India.
- Written in Sanskrit, the Sushruta Samhita dates back to the times before Christ and is one of the earliest works in the field of medicine.
- It forms the foundations of the ancient Hindu form of medicine known as Ayurveda and is highly regarded as one of the ‘Great Trilogy of Ayurvedic Medicine.’