Q. Who among the following lived at the court of Akbar?
Sur Das lived at the court of Akbar and was popularly known as the blind bard of Agra. Sur Das is believed to have been a disciple of Vallabacharya who was a Vaishnava preacher in the Sultanate period.
- Vallabhacharya was the founder of Pushtimarga (way of grace). Sur Das preached religion of love and devotion to a personal God.
- He wrote inspiring and moving poems, Hindi poems about Lord Krishna. Krishna’s bal lila constitutes the first great theme of Sur Das poetry.
- According to him, love is a sublimated theme representing the irresistible attraction of the gopis of Brindavan towards Krishna.
- The intensity of passion displayed by the gopis is an expression of the natural attraction of the human spirit towards the divine soul.
- His popular works are Sur Sagar, Sur Saravali and Sahitya Lehari. His monumental work Sur Sagar or Sur’s Ocean is a story of Lord Krishna from the birth to the departure for Mathura.
Source: Tamil Nadu state board.