Q. With reference to dissipation of acoustic energy by honeycomb structures based on natural beehives, consider the following statements:
1. These structures have been found to efficiently control high as well as low frequencies of Acoustic energy.
2. The vibration energy produced is dissipated in the form of heat due to wall damping properties.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
Both statements are correct.
- An Indian researcher recently fabricated paper honeycomb and stronger polymer honeycomb structure as sound-absorbing panels that dissipate acoustic energy to low-frequency ranges.
- Many traditional materials have been found to be good at controlling higher frequencies, but not at lower frequency ranges.
- However, natural beehives have been found to efficiently control high as well as low frequencies because of their geometry. This behaviour was owing to the conversion of acoustical energy into vibration energy. This vibration energy is dissipated in the form of heat due to wall damping properties.
Hence, mimicking this property as an engineering solution could offer a cost-effective method for controlling noise pollution.