Q. With reference to Dugong, consider the following statements:
1. It is an herbivorous mammal endemic to Indian Ocean.
2. They are listed in Appendix I of the CITES.
3. India’s first conservation reserve is located in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Which of the statements given above is/are incorrect?
- Statement 1 is incorrect: The dugong (Dugong dugon), also called the sea cow, is a herbivorous mammal. Species is found throughout the warm latitudes of the Indian and western Pacific Ocean.
- Statement 2 is correct: Internationally, dugongs are listed in Appendix I of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES), which prohibits the trade of the species and its parts.
- Statement 3 is incorrect: India’s first Dugong conservation reserve is coming up in Tamil Nadu.