Q. With reference to Indian Ocean Naval Symposium (IONS), consider the following statements:
1. It is a biennial forum conceived by the Indian Navy.
2. It aims to enhance maritime cooperation among Navies of the littoral states of the Indian Ocean Region.
3. United Kingdom is also a member of IONS.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
All statements are correct.
IONS is a biennial forum conceived by the Indian Navy in 2008.
Objective: To enhance maritime cooperation among Navies of the littoral states of the Indian Ocean Region.
First Edition: The inaugural edition of IONS was held in Feb 2008 in New Delhi with the Indian Navy as the Chair for two years.
Currently Chaired by: France.
Members of IONS: IONS includes 24 nations that hold territory within the Indian Ocean and 8 observer nations:
The members have been geographically grouped into the following four sub-regions:
- South Asian Littorals: Bangladesh, India, Maldives, Pakistan, Seychelles, Sri Lanka, and United Kingdom (British Indian Ocean Territory)
- West Asian Littorals: Iran, Oman, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates
- East African Littorals: France (Reunion), Kenya, Mauritius, Mozambique, South Africa, and Tanzania.
- Southeast Asian and Australian Littorals: Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Singapore, Thailand, and Timor-Leste.