Q. With reference to Kaiser-i-Hind, consider the following statements:
1. The species is endemic to North Eastern States of India.
2. It is listed as vulnerable in the IUCN red list of species.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
Both statements are incorrect.
- Kaiser-i-Hind (Teinopalpus imperialis) literally means Emperor of India.
- Habitat: The Butterfly is found in Nepal, Bhutan, Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam and southern China.
- In India, it is found in six states along the eastern Himalayas at elevations from 6,000-10,000 feet in well-wooded terrain.
- Vegetation: It flies high in the canopy of broad-leaved temperate evergreen forests.
- Indicator Species: The presence of this butterfly indicates the existence of a good forest ecosystem.
- IUCN Status: Near Threatened
- CITES: Appendix II
- Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972: Schedule II.