Q. With reference to Marker X syndrome, consider the following statements:
1. It is a genetic disorder.
2. Boys often have a more serious form of this syndrome than girls.
3. The disorder can be cured if therapy is given at an early stage.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
- Statement 1 is correct: Fragile X syndrome (FXS) is a genetic disorder. It is also known as Martin-Bell syndrome or Marker X syndrome.
- Statement 2 is correct: The syndrome is the leading inherited cause of autism in 4% of the population worldwide. Boys often have a more serious form of it than girls.
- Statement 3 is incorrect: The disorder cannot be cured, but early therapy can improve the individual’s quality of life.