Q. With reference to Recirculatory Aquaculture System (RAS) Technology, consider the following statements:
1. This method is used for high- density culture of various species of fish, utilizing minimum land area and water.
2. The capital cost of starting a RAS is much lower as compared to traditional ponds and raceways.
3. RAS requires a constant uninterrupted power supply.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
- Statement 1 is correct: This method is used for high- density culture of various species of fish, utilizing minimum land area and water. Under the Recirculatory Aquaculture System (RAS) technology, water is recycled and reused after mechanical and biological filtration and removal of suspended matter and metabolites.
- Statement 2 is incorrect: The capital cost of starting a recirculating aquaculture system is high as compared to ponds and raceways.
- Statement 3 is correct: A constant uninterrupted power supply is required if electric power fails, then a backup of electricity is required.