Q. With reference to “South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC)”, consider the following statements:
1. SAARC was established in Dhaka in 1985.
2. Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka are members of SAARC.
3. SAARC headquarter is in Kathmandu, Nepal.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
- Statement 1 is correct: SAARC was established with the signing of the SAARC Charter in Dhaka on 8 December 1985.
- Statement 2 is incorrect: Myanmar is not the member of SAARC. SAARC comprises of eight Member States: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
- Statement 3 is correct: The Headquarters and Secretariat of the Association are at Kathmandu, Nepal.
Source: Indian Express