Q. With reference to the proposed National Interlinking of Rivers Authority (NIRA), consider the following statements:
1. It will be an independent and autonomous body.
2. Prime Minister of India shall act as its ex-officio chairperson.
3. It will replace the existing National Water Development Agency (NWDA)
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
- Statement 1 is correct: NIRA is supposed to be an independent autonomous body for planning, investigation, financing and the implementation of the river interlinking projects in the country.
- Statement 2 is incorrect: The authority is to be headed by a Government of India Secretary-rank officer.
- Statement 3 is correct: NIRA will replace the existing National Water Development Agency (NWDA).