Q. With respect to Indian Virtual Herbarium, consider the following statements:
1. It has been developed by the Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS).
2. It is a digital database of plants and preserved parts of plants with labelled information.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
Explanation: Indian Virtual Herbarium:
- It has been developed by the Botanical Survey of India (BSI). It is a digital database of plants and preserved parts of plants with labelled information.
- The herbarium provides information on plants in different categories such as Cryptogams (spore-bearing plants), Phanerogams (seedbearing plants).
- Each record in the digital herbarium includes an image of the preserved plant specimen, scientific name, collection locality, and collection date, collector name, and barcode number.
- This is the biggest virtual database of flora in the country.
Source: EPIC August 2022