List of Contents
What is the news?
The Rajya Sabha passed the National Institutes of Food Technology, Entrepreneurship and Management Bill, 2019.
What does the bill provide?
The bill declares two institutes of food technology, entrepreneurship, and management as institutions of national importance. These are:
- National Institute of Food Technology Entrepreneurship and Management, Haryana
- Indian Institute of Food Processing Technology, Tamil Nadu.
What are Institutions of National Importance?
- An institution that serves as an important player in developing highly skilled personnel within the specified region of the country/state.
- The status is conferred on a premier public higher education institution in India by an act of the Parliament of India.
Benefits of National Importance Tag:
- Firstly, these institutes are provided functional autonomy to:
- design and develop courses
- Award Degrees such as Bachelor of Technology, Master of Technology, and Ph.D.
- Undertake research activities
- Secondly, the institutes would also implement the reservation policy of the government. It would also undertake special outreach activities for the benefit of concerned stakeholders.
- Lastly, the recognition would also enable the institutes to provide world-class teaching and research experience by adopting innovative practices.
Source: The Hindu