What is the News?
The QS World University Rankings 2021 released.
About QS World University Rankings 2021
- Released by: Global higher education consultancy Quacquarelli Symonds releases annually.
- Parameters: It calculates the performance of the universities based on the following four parameters:
- Academic reputation
- Employer reputation
- Research impact (citations per paper)
- Productivity of an institution’s research faculty
- Subjects Covered: It covers a total of 51 disciplines grouped into five broad subject areas: 1) Arts & Humanities 2) Engineering and Technology 3) Life Sciences & Medicine 4) Natural Sciences and 5) Social Sciences & Management.
Key Findings Related to India:
- Twelve Indian universities and higher education institutions have achieved top-100 positions in their subject. In total, 25 Indian programs have achieved top-100 positions – two fewer than in 2020.
- The top-ranked Indian programme globally is the IIT Madras petroleum engineering program. It is followed by mineral and mining engineering at Bombay and Kharagpur IITs.
- Engineering and Technology: Only three institutions made it to the top 100 in this category — the Bombay, Delhi, and Madras IITs. In 2020, 5 institutions were ranked in the top 100.
- Social Sciences and management: the University of Delhi is the highest-ranked Indian institution in this category. But it fell 48 places at 208.
- Life Sciences and Medicine: All India Institute of Medical Sciences remained the only institution in the top 300 in this category.
- Natural Sciences: Indian Institute of Science(IISc) has entered into the top 100 in this category.
- Arts & Humanities: Jawaharlal Nehru University(JNU) anthropology program has been ranked 159th in this category.
- Private Institute: OP Jindal Global University is the only Indian private institution in the top 100 list. It entered into the top 100 law schools of the world with a rank of 76.
Source: The Hindu