Realizing the realities of Jammu & Kashmir
- Ghulam Nabi Azad, a Kashmiri, and a Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya Sabha, attacked the government for not contesting the American characterization of Kashmir.
- Mr. Azad called it a ‘compromise’ as regards national security.
What led U.S to call it administered Jammu & Kashmir?
- The Americans were being merely factual.
- Salahuddin’s tenure as senior (Hizbul Mujahiddeen) HM leader, HM has claimed the responsibility for several attacks, including the April 2014 explosives attack in Indian-administered Jammu and Kashmir, which injured 17 people.
- Using the context used by HM, U.S. remained consistent with the reality on the ground.
The distorted map of Jammu & Kashmir
- The fact remains intact that there are areas in Jammu and Kashmir which are in the control of Pakistan.
- Pakistan controls a significant portion of its western and northern parts, some 78,000 sq. km of it.
- In the region, our maps refer to as Jammu and Kashmir, about 37,500 sq. km, comprising the Aksai Chin, is controlled by China.
- In addition, some 5,180 sq. km was gifted to China by Pakistan. India’s portion remains meager.
- It is therefore rational that there exist vast areas of Jammu and Kashmir we have no control over.
- It is equally logical that the areas under India’s control should be administer.
- Parliament and State Legislatures