Source: The Hindu
What is the News?
The Union Culture Minister has said that the National Archives records related to the life, struggle, and strife of our freedom fighters would be digitised within a year as a part of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav.
About Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav:
- Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav is an initiative of the Government of India to celebrate and commemorate 75 years of progressive India and the glorious history of its people, culture, and achievements.
About National Archives of India(NAI):
- National Archives of India(NAI) functions as an Attached Office of the Department of Culture under the Ministry of Culture.
- Established in: It was originally established as the Imperial Record Department in 1891 in Calcutta(Kolkata). This department was transferred to New Delhi in 1911. Later, it was shifted into the present building in 1926.
- Purpose: NAI is a custodian of the non-current records of the enduring value of the Indian Government. It holds them in trust for the use of administrators and scholars.
- Rules: NAI is the nodal agency for the implementation of the Public Records Act, 1993 and Public Record Rules,1997.