What is the News?
A group of researchers has developed a nano-structured, self-cleaning, sustainable aluminium surface by utilizing a simple and environment-friendly fabrication route.
- This could have multiple applications ranging from biomedical to aerospace and automobiles to household appliances.
Why was this developed?
- Aluminum is a light metal. It has many industrial applications as it can be easily cast, machined, and shaped.
- However, atmospheric degradation due to the accumulation of contaminants and humidity significantly limits its performance and sustainability.
- Besides, the leaching of aluminum also causes environmental and health-related issues.
- Hence, to overcome these problems, the nano-structured, self-cleaning, sustainable aluminium surface has been developed.
Scheme Mentioned in the Article:
About Fund for Improvement of S&T Infrastructure(FIST):
- The FIST program was launched by the Department of Science & Technology in 2000.
- The program aims to provide basic infrastructure and enabling facilities for promoting R&D activities in new and emerging areas and attract fresh talents in universities & other educational institutions.
- Duration: The duration of support for each project will be for a period not exceeding 5 years.