Rs. 1,364 crore given to wrong beneficiaries of PM-Kisan

Rs. 1,364 crore given to wrong beneficiaries of PM-Kisan

News: According to an Right to Information (RTI) reply, Union government has paid Rs 1,364 crore to 20.48 lakh ineligible beneficiaries under the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN) scheme till July 2020.

Facts:

  • There were two categories of undeserving beneficiaries who received PM-KISAN payouts namely the “ineligible farmers” and “income tax payee farmers”.
  • More than half (55.58%) of these undeserving persons belong to the income tax payee category. The remaining 44.41% belong to the ineligible farmer’s category. However, in terms of the amount paid, 72% of the fund went to income tax payee.
  • Punjab (23%), Maharashtra (17%) and Assam (14%) account for more than half of the beneficiaries of wrong payments followed by Gujarat and Uttar Pradesh with 8% each.

Additional Facts:

  • PM KISAN: It was launched in 2019.It is the Centre’s flagship scheme to provide income support worth Rs. 6,000 a year to farming families. Earlier, it was meant to cover only small and marginal farmers who owned less than two hectares. Later that year, large farmers were included in the scheme as the government removed the land size criteria.

Article Source

Further Read on PM KISAN: https://blog.forumias.com/pradhan-mantri-kisan-samman-nidhipm-kisan-scheme/

Read Also :upsc current affairs

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Free IAS Preparation by Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to the blog followed by several Rankholders and ensure success in IAS.