News: Rural Development Minister launched the Saras collection on Government e Marketplace (GeM) portal
- The Saras collection showcases daily utility products made by rural self-help groups.
- It is an initiative of Government e Marketplace (GeM) and the DeenDayalAntyodaya Yojana-National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM)
- Aim: To provide markets in rural areas with access to Central and State Government buyers.
- Significance: It will reduce human interventions in procurement and enable transparency, cost savings, inclusiveness and efficiency.
Government e Marketplace:
- It is an online marketplace setup in 2016 for procurement of commonly used goods and services by government ministries,departments and CPSEs.
- It aims to enhance transparency, efficiency and speed in public procurement.
- It is a National Procurement Portal of India.It functions under Directorate General of Supplies and Disposals (DGS&D),Ministry of Commerce and Industry.