Why in News?
Indian military specialists will soon undergo training courses on the S-400 long-range Air Defence System in Russia.
- S-400 Triumf Missile: It is a mobile, surface-to-air missile system(SAM) designed by Russia.
- Supply of S-400 missiles is one of the flagship projects in the Russian-Indian military and military-technical cooperation
- The S-400 is an air defence system. The missile can destroy airborne targets within the range of 250km and also capable of destroying fast moving targets such as fighter aircraft.
- It is capable of firing three types of missiles to create a layered defence.
- The system can engage all types of aerial targets including aircraft, unmanned aerial vehicles(UAV) and ballistic and cruise missiles within the range of 400km, at an altitude of up to 30km.
- It can track 100 airborne targets and engage six of them simultaneously.
- Concerns for India: India is concerned that the U.S would proceed with Countering America’s Adversaries through Sanctions Act(CAATSA) sanctions against India over the S-400 purchase from Russia.
- CAATSA: It is a United States federal law that imposed sanctions on Iran, North Korea, and Russia. It includes sanctions against countries that engage in significant transactions with Russia’s defense and intelligence sectors.