News:The Prime Minister addressed all SAARC member countries via video conference to chalk out a common strategy to fight the Coronavirus in the region.
Key takeaways from the address:
- Prime minister has proposed the creation of a COVID 19 emergency fund based on voluntary contributions from SAARC nations.
- India is assembling a Rapid Response Team of doctors and specialists along with testing kits and other equipment.They will be on stand-by to be placed at SAARC nation’s disposal,if required.
- India has also set up an Integrated Disease Surveillance Portal to better trace possible virus carriers and the people they contacted.This Disease Surveillance software could be shared with SAARC partners.
- The South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation(SAARC) was established with the signing of the SAARC Charter in Dhaka in 1985.
- Members: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
- Observers: Australia, China, the European Union, Iran, Japan, Mauritius, Myanmar, South Korea and the United States.
- Secretariat: Kathmandu,Nepal.