- The government affidavit on Lokpal is “wholly unsatisfactory” says Supreme Court.
2. Advocate Prashant Bhushan, filed a contempt petition against the government for not appointing a Lokpal despite an April 2017 judgment by the court
3. On this the court said that government’s stand on completing the appointment of a Lokpal, an ombudsman to protect the common man from corruption in public service and power centres, was “wholly unsatisfactory.”
4. Recently, the selection committee led by PM Modi met on the choice of a search committee for the Lokpal.
5. Search Committee:
- The committees will shortlist the candidates for Lokpal.
- It will comprise 50% members from the SC/ST category, OBCs and the minorities and women.
- The committee will comprise seven persons, including the chairperson.
- The members will be experts from the diverse background such as banking, law, insurance, management etc.
6. Reasons for not implementation of the Lokpal act:
- The Lokpal and Lokayukta Act 2013 was not implemented till now because there was no Leader of Opposition (LoP) in the 16th Lok Sabha.
7. The 2013 statute include the LoP as a member of the selection committee.
8. The act intends the LoP to be the part of the selection committee of the PM, the CJI, and the Speaker , which has to first appoint an eminent jurist among their ranks.