News:The Supreme Court has sought response from the Centre on a public interest litigation(PIL) seeking directions to implement the recommendations of National Electric Mobility Mission Plan (NEMMP) 2020.
About the petition:
- The petitioner argued that e-vehicles are more viable since the combustion process in compressed natural gas (CNG) enabled vehicles also causes global warming.
- Hence,a proper infrastructure for Electric Vehicles(EV) operated vehicles also needs to be developed.
- Further,the plea also suggested ways including preferential parking, exemption from toll fee, subsidised private ownership for charging infrastructure in sync with international practices to boost the adoption of EV’s.
About National Electric Mobility Mission Plan(NEMMP) 2020:
- The NEMMP 2020 is the National Mission document providing the vision and the roadmap for the faster adoption of Electric vehicles and their manufacturing in the country.
- The plan aims to enhance national fuel security, to provide affordable and environmentally friendly transportation and to enable the Indian automotive industry to achieve global manufacturing leadership.
- The mission targets to achieve an ambitious target to achieve 6-7 million sales of hybrid and electric vehicles by the year 2020.
- Under the plan,the government has also launched the Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of (Hybrid &) Electric Vehicles (FAME India) scheme.
About Fame India Scheme
- Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of (Hybrid &) Electric Vehicles in India (FAME India) Scheme was launched in 2015.It is implemented by Ministry of Heavy Industries & Public Enterprises.
- It aims to support hybrid/electric vehicles market development and Manufacturing ecosystem.
- The main objectives of the scheme are a) encourage faster adoption of Electric and hybrid vehicle by way of offering upfront Incentive on purchase of Electric vehicles and b) establish necessary charging Infrastructure for electric vehicles.
- Further, FAME II is an expanded version of FAME I which aimed to support hybrid/electric vehicles market development and Manufacturing ecosystem.