News:The Supreme Court has decided to create a permanent five judge Constitution Bench to hear and decide cases involving Constitutional questions.
About Constitution bench:
- Constitution bench is the name given to the benches of the Supreme Court of India which consist of at least five judges of the court.
- These judges sit to decide on a case involving a substantial question of law as to the interpretation of the Constitution of India or for the purpose of hearing any reference made by the President of India under Article 143.
- The provision of constitution bench has been mandated under Article 145 (3) of the Constitution of India.
- The Chief Justice of India has the power to constitute a Constitution Bench and refer cases to it.
- The Constitution benches have decided most important Supreme Court cases such as A. K. Gopalan v. State of Madras, Kesavananda Bharati v. State of Kerala (basic structure doctrine) and Ashoka Kumar Thakur v. Union of India (OBC reservations) among others.