List of Contents
What is the News?
Indian scientists in partnership with other BRICS countries namely China, Russia and Brazil will carry out the genomic sequencing of SARS-CoV-2. They will also study epidemiology and mathematical modelling of the Covid-19.
What is Genome Sequencing?
- Genome sequencing is a process of determining the complete DNA sequence of an organism’s genome.
Why do we need Genome Sequencing and other studies?
- A whole-genomic sequencing is required for the identification of genetic mutations and recombinations of the virus.
- On the other hand, epidemiological studies are needed to help assess the distribution of the virus.
- Further, Mathematical modelling is required to assess the virus future spread.
About BRICS Genome Sequencing on Covid-19:
- Under the research, the Indian and Brazilian sides will assess the distribution of SARS-CoV-2 in the environmental samples.
- The Chinese and Russian scientists will carry out the Real-Time PCR detection of SARS-CoV-2 in biological material (nasopharyngeal swabs) from patients with symptoms of respiratory diseases and investigate the genomic variability.
- Then the data from all countries will be integrated to develop mathematical models to reveal the spread and dynamics of the virus.
- Hence, this research will help trace genetic mutations, recombinations as well as distribution of the virus.
- The research will also make predictions about the future of its spread.