September month to be celebrated as ‘Rashtriya Poshan Maah’
- Government has announced that the entire month of September 2019 will be celebrated as the Rashtriya Poshan Maah.
- Poshan Maah(nutrition month) is an initiative of the Ministry of Women and Child Development and NITI Aayog to give a push to Poshan Abhiyan.
- The initiative aims to ensure a healthier future for women and children.The theme of this initiative is Complementary Feeding.
- During Poshan Maah,activities like Prabhat Pheri, Poshan Melas, Nukkad Nataks, School Based Events will be held to take the message of the importance of nutrition to every household
- POSHAN(National Nutrition mission) stands for Prime Minister’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nutrition.It was launched in 2018 and is implemented by the Ministry of Women and Child development.
- The mission aims to ensure holistic development and adequate nutrition for pregnant women, mothers and children.
- The initiative has the target to reduce the level of stunting, undernutrition and low birth weight by 2% each and anaemia by 3%.It also aims to reduce stunting from 38.4% (NFHS-4) to 25% by 2022.
- A key idea of the initiative is to incentivise Anganwadi Workers(AWs) for using ICT-based tools,making it easier to implement and monitor the programme.