What is the News?
Dr Shakuntala Haraksingh, a global nutrition expert of Indian descent has won the prestigious 2021 World Food Prize. She was awarded for her research in developing holistic, nutrition-sensitive approaches to aquaculture and food systems.
About World Food Prize:
- Firstly, the World Food Prize is an international honor recognizing the achievements of individuals. Especially persons who have achieved human development by improving the quality, quantity or availability of food in the world.
- Secondly, the World Food Prize Foundation presents the award.
- Thirdly, regarding categories, the award recognizes contributions in any field involved in the world food supply. This includes plant, animal and soil science; food science and technology; nutrition, rural development among others.
- Fourthly, on eligibility, the prize is open to every individual without regard to race, religion, nationality, or political beliefs.
- Lastly, Significance of this award:
- Dr. Norman E. Borlaug conceived the award in 1987. He was the winner of the Nobel Peace Prize in 1970 for his work in global agriculture. He is also known as the Father of the Green Revolution.
- M.S. Swaminathan, the father of India’s green revolution was the first recipient of this award in 1987.
Source: Indian Express