Source: The post is based on the article “SHREYAS scheme empowers thousands: over 2300 crore rupees allocated for education of SC and OBC students since 2014” published in PIB on 18th September 2023
What is the News?
This article talks about the sub schemes under the SHREYAS Scheme.
What is SHREYAS Scheme?
Nodal Ministry: Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment
Full Form: Scholarships for Higher Education for Young Achievers Scheme(SHREYAS)
Sub Schemes: The scheme comprises of 4 central sector sub-schemes.These all sub-schemes are central sector schemes:
Free Coaching Scheme for SCs and OBCs: The objective of the Scheme is to provide coaching of good quality for economically disadvantaged Scheduled Castes (SCs) and Other Backward Classes (OBCs) candidates to enable them appear in competitive and entrance examinations for obtaining appropriate jobs in Public/Private Sector as well as for securing admission in reputed technical and professional higher education institutions.
– The ceiling of the total family income under the scheme is 8 lakhs per annum.3500 slots are allotted per annum.
– The ratio of SC: OBC students is 70:30 and 30% slots are reserved for females in each category. In case of non-availability of the adequate number of candidates in SC category, the Ministry can relax this ratio. However, in no case, less than 50% SC students shall be permitted.
Top Class Education for SCs: The Scheme aims at recognizing and promoting quality education amongst students belonging to SCs, by providing full financial support.The Scheme will cover SC students for pursuing studies beyond 12th class.
– The scholarship, once awarded, will continue till the completion of the course, subject to satisfactory performance of the student.
– The ceiling of the total family income under the scheme is 8 lakhs per annum.
National Overseas Scheme for SCs: The scheme provides financial assistance to the selected students from SCs (115 slots); De-notified, Nomadic and Semi-Nomadic Tribes (6 slots); landless agricultural laborers and traditional artisan categories (4 slots), for pursuing masters and Ph.D. level courses abroad.Presently, 125 slots are allotted under the scheme.
– Eligibility: Total family income including the candidate is less than Rs. 8 lakhs per annum, secured more than 60% marks in the qualifying examination, are below 35 years of age and secured admission in top 500 QS ranking foreign Institutes/ Universities.
– Benefits: The scheme provides total tuition fee, maintenance and contingency allowance, visa fee, to and fro air passage etc to the awardees.
National Fellowship for SC Students: The scheme provides fellowship to Scheduled Castes students for pursuing higher education leading to M.Phil/ Ph.D degrees in Sciences, Humanities and Social Sciences in Indian Universities/Institutions/ Colleges recognized by University Grants Commission (UGC).
– The scheme provides for 2000 new slots per year (500 for science stream and 1500 for Humanities and Social Sciences) who have qualified the National Eligibility Test- Junior Research Fellowship (NET-JRF) of UGC and Junior Research Fellows for Science stream qualifying UGC-Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (UGC-CSIR) Joint Test.