News:The 4th Anniversary of the launch of Shyama Prasad Mukherji Rurban Mission (SPMRM) will be observed on 21st February,2020.
About the SPMRM:
- Launched in 2016 by the Union Ministry of Rural Development.
- Aim:To stimulate local economic development, enhance basic services, and create well planned Rurban clusters.
- Under the mission,300 Rurban clusters are envisaged to be developed in a time bound manner.
How will the Rurban Clusters be selected?
- The State Governments would identify the clusters in accordance with the Framework for Implementation prepared by the Ministry of Rural Development.
- The clusters will be geographically contiguous Gram Panchayats with a population of about 25000 to 50000 in plain and coastal areas and a population of 5000 to 15000 in desert, hilly or tribal areas.
- As far as possible, clusters of villages would follow administrative convergence units of Gram Panchayats.
Funding:The mission is a Core Centrally Sponsored Scheme with two fund streams namely:
- Convergence through various Central sector schemes, centrally sponsored schemes, State sector/ sponsored schemes/ programmes, CSR funds and
- Critical Gap Funds(CGF) of upto Rs. 30 crore per cluster for Non-tribal clusters and upto Rs. 15 crore per cluster for Tribal and Hilly State clusters.
- To bridge the rural-urban divide-economically, technologically and those related to facilities and services.
- Spreading development in the region.
- Attracting investments in the rural areas.
- Stimulating local economic development with emphasis on reduction of poverty and unemployment in the rural areas.