Synopsis: India needs to remain engaged with the members of the Progressive Democratic Party in the US, despite a difference of opinions.
- Firstly, India and South Africa proposed a temporary TRIPS waiver at WTO to waive Intellectual Property Rights on Covid-related innovations.
- Secondly, Relaxation in IPR will boost the manufacturing of Covid related medical kits including vaccines. However, many western countries and business corporations opposed this.
- Thirdly, in this context, The U. S has recently announced its support for a TRIPS waiver. Further, the US is providing Covid-19 related aid to India.
- Fourthly, it has been said that the Change in U. S’s Positive approach towards India is a result of continued efforts by the political and business class, civil society, Indian Americans. More importantly, the Progressive Democratic Party’s efforts.
Indian diaspora in the Progressive Democratic Party
- The notable persons are Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal, Congressman Rohit ‘Ro’ Khanna Congressman Raja Krishnamoorthy.
- Earlier they were instrumental in voicing against Human rights violations in Jammu and Kashmir and supported in favour of Peaceful Farmers protest.
- Irrespective of these positions, they were instrumental in pursuing the US government to support India through aid and TRIPS waiver.
Source: The Hindu