What is the News?
Recently the Minister of Sports, Youth Affairs informed the Parliament that so far Six Universities/Institutes and five Medical Colleges have been selected for setting up of Sports Science Departments and Sports Medicine Departments under the NCSSR scheme
About Scheme of National Centre of Sports Sciences and Research (NCSSR):
- The scheme of the National Centre of Sports Sciences and Research (NCSSR) is an initiative of the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports
- Aim: To support high-level research, education and innovation with respect to the high performance of elite athletes.
Objectives of NCSSR scheme:
- Application of scientific principles to the promotion, maintenance and enhancement of sporting performance.
- Developing athletes to their maximum potential and prolonging their competitive sporting career.
- Dissemination of sports science information
- Testing and Certification of food supplements/Indigenous preparations.
- Application of Ayurvedic/Homeopathic Medicines in sporting performance.
- Management and rehabilitation of sports injuries.
Components of the Scheme: The scheme has two components:
- Setting up of NCSSR centre
- Providing support (funding) for setting up of Sports Sciences Departments and Sports Medicine Departments in selected Universities/Institutes and Medical Colleges respectively.
Implementation of the Scheme:
- The Scheme is implemented through the Sports Authority of India (SAI) and the selected Universities/Institutes/Medical Colleges across the country.
- The funds under the scheme are not sanctioned/released state-wise.