News:The second round of the Smart Cities Mission and the Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation(AMRUT) were being considered and could be rolled out in 2020.
About About Smart Cities Mission:
- Smart Cities Mission was launched in 2015.It aims to develop 100 smart cities across the country by 2022 making them citizen friendly and sustainable.
- The objective is to promote sustainable and inclusive cities that provide core infrastructure and give a decent quality of life to its citizens, a clean and sustainable environment and application of ‘Smart’ Solutions
- The Ministry of Housing and Urban affairs is implementing the mission in collaboration with the state governments of the respective cities.
- The first round of the Smart Cities Mission that covers 100 cities would be 50% complete that is 50 cities by December,2019.
- AMRUT stands for Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation.The mission was launched in 2015.
- The mission is aimed at transforming 500 cities and towns into efficient urban living spaces over a period of five years.
- The mission seeks to provide basic civic amenities like water supply, sewerage, urban transport, parks to improve the quality of life for all, especially the poor and the disadvantaged.
- The focus of the mission is also on infrastructure creation that has a direct link to provision of better services to the citizens.