List of Contents
What is the News?
The Defence Research and Development Organisation(DRDO) launches the SpO2 (Blood Oxygen Saturation) supplemental Oxygen Delivery System. It will be useful for soldiers in extreme high-altitude areas.
About DRDO’s Supplemental Oxygen Delivery System:
- Purpose: The system delivers supplemental oxygen based on the SpO2 (Blood Oxygen Saturation) levels. Thus, it prevents the person from going into a state of Hypoxia.
- Hypoxia is a state in which the amount of oxygen reaching the tissues is inadequate to fulfil all the energy requirements of the body.
- Developed by: Defence Bio-Engineering & ElectroMedical Laboratory (DEBEL), Bengaluru of DRDO
- Significance: This system will also be helpful in the current Covid-19 pandemic. It is useful for household care for moderate Covid patients for Oxygen flow therapy.
Key Features of the System:
- The system has been indigenously developed. It has dual qualities of being robust & cheap.
- Further, this system reads the blood oxygen saturation levels of the subject from a wrist-worn pulse oximeter. After that, the system delivers the required oxygen.
- Moreover, the system can function at extreme altitudes featuring low barometric pressures, low temperatures, and humidity.
- The system also has software safety checks in the system to ensure the functional reliability of the system in field conditions.