List of Contents
What is the News?
Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has proposed the “star rating” or “labeling” norms for Tyres for better fuel-saving and comfortable driving.
About Standard and Labelling Programme (S&L):
- Standard and Labelling Programme(S&L) is one of the major initiatives of the Bureau of Energy Efficiency(BEE).
- Objective: To provide the consumer with an informed choice about the energy-saving and thereby the cost-saving potential of the relevant marketed product.
- The scheme targets the display of energy performance labels on high energy end-use equipment & appliances and lays down minimum energy performance standards.
- Presently, the S&L program covers a star rating for 26 appliances/equipment including 10 for which it is mandatory. The other appliances are presently under the voluntary labeling phase.
About Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE)
- Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) was set up by the Government of India in 2002 under the provision of the Energy Conservation Act, 2001.
- Purpose: The mission of the Bureau of Energy Efficiency is to assist in developing policies and strategies with a thrust on self-regulation and market principles. BEE does this for the primary objective to reduce the energy intensity of the Indian economy within the overall framework of the Energy Conservation Act, 2001.
- This will be achieved with the active participation of all stakeholders, resulting in accelerated and sustained adoption of energy efficiency in all sectors.