What is the news?
The Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) has released the State of Environment Report, 2021 in February recently. This article focuses upon the data related to farmer protests as mentioned in the report.
Report on Farmers Protests:
- Farmers Protests in India have registered an almost five-fold increase since 2017.
- In 2017, there were 34 major protests across 15 States. The number has now increased to 165 protests in 2020.
- Among these, 12 are pan-India protests, including 11 against the three farm reform laws.
- Reasons for Farm Protests:
- Contentious Central farm laws
- Procurement and agricultural market price-related failures
- Protests against inadequate Budget allocations for the agricultural sector.
- Battles against the acquisition of farmland for development projects
- Loan Waivers or poor insurance coverage among others.
- States: Numerous farmer protests have taken place in the States of Odisha, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana.
Read Also :-Prevalence of Bonded Labour in India
Other key Findings of State of Environment Report:
India has more farm labourers than landowning farmers and cultivators.
- This has been found in 52% of the country’s districts.
- Among States, Bihar, Kerala and Puducherry have more farm labourers than farmers in all their districts.
Read Also :-Child Labour in India
- Every day, over 28 farm labourers and cultivators commit suicide in our country.
- In 2019, there were 5,957 farmer suicides along with an additional 4,324 farm labourers who died by suicide.
Suggestions from State of Environment Report:
- The report has called for better maintenance of agricultural data. It said that 14 States had witnessed a deterioration in the quality of their land records.
Source: The Hindu