News: UNESCO has released the 2020 State of the Education Report for India: Vocational Education First.
● The second edition of the State of Education Report focuses on technical and vocational Education reports and training(TVET).
What is TVET (Technical and Vocational Education and Training)?
TVET refers to aspects of the Education Report process involving in addition to general education, the study of technologies and related sciences and the acquisition of practical skills, attitudes, understanding and knowledge relating to occupants in various sectors of economic and social life
How to improve TVET in India?
The report outlines a set of ten recommendations that should be adopted to help achieve the stated vision for TVET in the country.
● Place learners and their aspirations at the centre of vocational education and training programs
● Create an appropriate ecosystem for teachers, trainers and assessors
● Focus on upskilling, re-skilling and lifelong learning
● Ensure inclusive access to TVET for women, differently abled and disadvantaged learners
● Massively expand the digitalization of vocational education and training
● Support local communities to generate livelihoods by engaging in the preservation of tangible and intangible cultural heritage
● Align better with the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
● Deploy innovative models of financing TVET
● Expand evidence-based research for better planning and monitoring
● Establish a robust coordinating mechanism for inter-ministerial cooperation.
● United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO): It is a specialized agency of the United Nations(UN) based in Paris, France. India has been a member of the UNESCO since its inception in 1946.