What is the News? The Government of India released funds for various activities to empower Sub-Mission on Agricultural Mechanization(SMAM).
Various activities include the establishment of Custom Hiring Centres, Farm Machinery Bank and distribution of various agricultural machinery to different states.
Note: Agriculture mechanization is the process of replacing human and animal labour with machines in the agriculture sector. The use of tractors, threshers, harvesters, pump sets is a part of farm mechanization.
About Sub-Mission on Agricultural Mechanization(SMAM):
- The Sub-Mission on Agricultural Mechanization(SMAM) was launched in 2014-15 by the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare.
Read Also:-Important Government schemes & Programs
Objectives of the Scheme:
- To increase the reach of farm mechanization to small and marginal farmers. Also, to increase the reach in regions where availability of farm power is low;
- To promote ‘Custom Hiring Centres’ to offset the adverse economies of scale arising due to small landholding and high cost of individual ownership;
- Also, to create hubs for hi-tech & high-value farm equipment;
- To create awareness among stakeholders through demonstration and capacity building activities;
- To ensure performance testing and certification at designated testing centres located all over the country.
Mission Strategy: To achieve the above objectives, the Mission will adopt the following strategies:
- Conduct performance testing for various farm machinery and equipment at the four Farm Machinery Training and Testing Institutes (FMTTIs), designated State Agricultural Universities (SAUs) and ICAR institutions;
- Promote farm mechanization among stakeholders by way of on-field and off-field training and demonstrations.
- Provide financial assistance to farmers for procurement of farm machinery and implements
- Establish custom hiring centers of the location and crop-specific farm machinery and implements
- Provide financial assistance to small and marginal farmers for hiring machinery and implements in low mechanized regions.