News: The Supreme Court has pronounced its reasons for granting interim bail to Republic TV editor-in-chief Arnab Goswami in connection with the abetment of suicide case against him.
Key Takeaways from the Judgement:
- Protect Personal Liberty: The Supreme Court called on judges to protect personal liberty and the right of ordinary people to bail saying liberty is not a gift for the few and deprivation of liberty even for a single day is one day too many.
- Importance of Bail: The apex court invoked the case of State of Rajasthan, Jaipur v Balchand and referred to Justice Krishna Iyer’s statement that “basic rule of our criminal justice system is bail,not jail”.
- Courts as first line of Defence: The Courts must ensure that they continue to remain the first line of defence when citizens liberty is deprived.But in reality, undertrials remained behind bars while their bail applications were lobbed from one rung of courts to another.
- Pending Bail Pleas: The court highlighted that 91,568 bail pleas were pending in High Courts, while 1.96 lakh bail applications continued to wait for a hearing in the district courts.Hence, it urged the judges in charge of these courts to utilise tools at their disposal to address this pendency.
- Importance of District Courts: The district courts are only subordinate in hierarchy.It is less to none when it comes to saving the lives of citizens or doing justice for them.Hence, the district judiciary must be alive to the situation as it prevails on the ground – in the jails and police stations where human dignity has no protector.