News: The Supreme Court has stayed the implementation of Three Farm Laws until further Orders.
Summary of the Supreme Court Order:
- Stay on Farm Laws: Implementation of three farm laws namely The Farmers’ Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Act, The Essential Commodities (Amendment) Act and The Farmers (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement on Price Assurance and Farm Services Act have stayed.
- The stay on their implementation means the Centre cannot, for the time being, proceed with any executive actions to enforce the laws.
- No Retrospective Action: No farmer must be dispossessed or deprived of his title as a result of any action taken under the laws.
- Committee Formed: The court formed a four-member committee of experts to listen to the grievances of the farmers on the farm laws and the views of the government and make recommendations. The Committee shall be provided with a place at Delhi and Government to bear its expenses and give it secretarial assistance
- Functions of Committee: The representatives of all the farmers’ bodies whether they are holding a protest or not and whether they support or oppose the laws shall p Supreme Court stays farm laws articipate in the deliberations of the Committee and put forth their viewpoints. The Committee should file the report within 2 months before the Supreme Court.
Further Reading on Farm Laws: https://blog.forumias.com/issue-of-farm-bills/