- The Centre has launched the SwacchSurvekshanGrameen, 2018, a nationwide survey of rural India.
- The survey will rank the cleanest and dirtiest States and districts on the basis of qualitative and quantitative evaluations.
- Around 6, 980 villages across 698 districts will survey.
- The SwachhSurvekshanGrameen award will be given on October 2, Mahatma Gandhi’s birth anniversary.
- This is the first comprehensive survey for rural India.
- Earlier, three successful editions of a similar survey in urban India were conducted.
- The ranking will be based on three parameters:
- Direct observation of public places by independent surveyors,
- service-level progress using data from the Swachh Bharat Mission’s information system
- Citizens’ feedback: through village meetings, online feedback, and direct interviews as well as discussion with key influences such as local officials, elected representatives and anganwadi workers.
- An audio-visual publicity campaign, featuring Swachh Bharat ambassadors Amitabh Bachchan and Sachin Tendulkar, was also launched.