- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj will meet Pakistan’s Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi in New York.
- India accepted Pakistan’s proposal for talks between the Foreign Ministers on the sidelines of the ongoing annual UN General Assembly session in New York.
- India has made it clear that the talk was not the resumption of India Pakistan Dialogue.
- The Comprehensive Bilateral Dialogue remains stalled since the January 2016 terror strike on the Pathankot airbase.
- Despite agreeing to the talks India maintained that talk and terror could not go together.
- Details of the proposed meeting including the topics that are to be discussed are being worked out.
- The issue of Pakistan facilitating visits by Indian pilgrims to the Kartarpur Sahib gurdwara is expected to feature at the meeting.
- Pakistan also wants to discuss the holding of the postponed SAARC summit in Islamabad at the meeting.
- However India has reiterated that atmosphere in the region is not conducive for the SAARC summit to take place as the region is still engulfed in terrorism.