What is the News?
The Finance Minister launched Swachh Bharat Mission Urban 2.0 along with Jal Jeevan Mission(urban).
Swachh Bharat Mission Urban
- Launched in: It was launched in 2014 by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- Swachh Bharat Mission Urban 1.0: The focus of the mission was to make urban India open defecation free (ODF). As well as, 100% scientific solid waste management.
Swachh Bharat Mission Urban 2.0:
- The mission would be implemented over five years — from 2021 to 2026
- Focus: Following are focus areas of Mission:
- Faecal sludge management and waste water treatment,
- Source segregation of garbage,
- Reduction in single-use plastic,
- Reduction in air pollution by effectively managing waste from construction and demolition activities and
- Bioremediation of all legacy dump sites.
Jal Jeevan Mission(urban)
- Aim: It aims at universal water supply in all urban local bodies. It will facilitate 2.86 crore household tap connections as well as liquid waste management in 500 AMRUT cities.
- Duration: The scheme will be implemented over the next 5 years.
Jal Jeevan Mission(Rural): It launched in 2019. It aims to provide every rural household with a tap water connection by 2024. Nearly 30 million tap water connections have been provided under this so far.
Source: The Hindu