List of Contents
What is the News?
The Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change has addressed the World Sustainable Development Summit 2021.
About World Sustainable Development Summit:
- The World Sustainable Development Summit is an annual event organized by The Energy and Resources Institute(TERI) since 2001.
- The summit was earlier known as Delhi Sustainable Development Summit.
- Purpose: The summit brings together Nobel laureates, political leaders among others on a common platform to deliberate on issues related to sustainable development and climate change.
- The theme for 2021: Redefining our common future: Safe & Secure Environment for All
Key Takeaways from the World Sustainable Development Summit 2021:
- The availability of water is continuously declining. Agriculture sector alone consumes 85% of available water.
- Thus, water conservation methods should be used in Agriculture to manage available water resources efficiently.
About The Energy and Resources Institute(TERI)
- TERI is a non-profit research institute. It was established in 1974 as Tata Energy Research Institute and renamed to The Energy Resources Institute in 2003.
- Purpose: It conducts research work in the fields of energy, environment, and sustainable development for India and the Global South.
- Location: New Delhi.
Other Initiatives by TERI:
- Lighting a Billion Lives(LaBL): It is an initiative of TERI to provide clean lighting access to the bottom of the pyramid communities.
- Green Olympiad: It is conducted by TERI in association with MoEFCC. It is an international environment examination that is annually organized for middle and high-school students.
- Green Rating for Integrated Habitat Assessment (GRIHA): It was conceived by TERI and developed with the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy. It is a national rating system for green buildings in India.